Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mexico

Ever since we hit San Diego last May I have been wanting to take the girls to Mexico, I think it is important for them to see how the other side lives, even our homeless in America are blessed compared to the poverty that exists in t third world country. Most of us here in the US do not know what it means to want somthing, so I like to get out and be reminded.
Unfortunatly every border town we were near was reportedly "to dangerous" with all the drug wars. We passed up border towns in California, Arizona and even one in Texas, however this week work has luckily brought me to the blessed town of McAllen Texas, which happens to be on the southern most tip of Texas right next to Mexico. Even though we still heard plenty of people say that this border town was also dangerous, we had a few good sensed locals who let us know that a lot of the fear was media hype.So yesterday we loaded up the kids and hit the border. In order to avoid being a target with the old Lincoln Navigator we opted to leave it in a local Whataburger parking lot and walk across the Rio Grande Bridge on foot.I knew Savannah was nervous because she had the motor mouth anxiety she gets every time she is excited, she started talking and just wouldn't stop. Mom on the other hand gets very quiet when she is anxious so between the two of them it works out.
So needles to say yes it was very safe, of corse we didn't go around looking for drugs, women or trouble, nor did we get obnoxious and drunk. However the Mexican Military was in force out there, Shiloh even walked up to one of them and asked to touch his machine gun.
Surprisingly we only saw one white couple there the whole day, and with the girls being blond they had several locals coming up and stroking their hair.
We got some great deals on some leather sandals for the girls, but mostly we ate, and ate and ate some more. The girls went crazy on the corn, ever since they watched Nacho Libre, they have had a desire to have grilled corn on a stick, but that not much of a local Utah thing so they were stoked when they saw it there.
There were a few sketchy parts of town that we avoided but, I have to admit, this border town was just as safe as any that I hit before.
I hope to visit again if I get done with work early while I am here.

3 comments:

Bri!!! said...

That's so much fun! YAY FOR SOUTH TEXAS AND MEXICO!

Charlene Roberts said...

I love the pictures. Jess told me about your Mexico adventure and all I can say is she is a great woman. Have to admit I don't know if I would be that brave with kids. Good to know you still don't succumb to fear.
No creatine jokes pulled on the border police this time?

You guys are the biggest "foodies" I have ever known. Indulging is a great life experience, embrace!

How I love you and super excited to see a post from you after over a year.

Jason said...

Jess is a rockin woman, and I feel like a lucky man!
Thankfully I learned my lesson about messing with the border patrol last time, so we kept the smack talking to a minimum this trip.

As far as the food goes I am starting to get worried about going home to Utah, I think we will have withdrawals from all the great food spots we have ben finding out here.
Love you sis!