Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Valley and Corpus


Last week we stayed in "The Valley" which is basically the southern tip of Texas which borders the gulf and Mexico.
One of the things we really enjoy is seeing different cultures and places. This area fit that description. Our hotel was in the city of Mcallen which looked like a town that was having an identity crisis. Yes it was located in the USA but if dropped from the air into the town you would have a hard time knowing that you were in the US. It seems the Mexican culture just came right across the border. Not only did most of the town speak just spanish but the majority of the signs were all in spanish as well, and the stores were organized in very much the same
way they are in Mexico.
I will say that the highlight of the trip was that I had the Best Mexican food in my life out there. The meat was smoked Texas style, but then it was prepared in a very authentic mexican style, I was blown away with every bite and ended up ordering about $60.00 in food to take back home. Wow it was so good, the bummer is that I am sure I will never find an infusion like that again. Other than that most of the mex I had in Texas has been just ok.
As Savannah Mentioned in her Blog we also hit Corpus Christi this week, but unfortunately the two days we were there were very overcast. The girls and I decide to hit the beach anyways and we found all sorts of cool dead stuff washed up ranging from a blowfish and Huge jellyfish to what looked like a cat.
As far as cycling goes I have converted my old trek into a single speed bike and have been having some fun with that. It works out pretty well since there are not many mtn climbs in this part of the country.
Anyhow we are now in Houston Texas and will be here for the next few weeks.
Later...

2 comments:

Bri!!! said...

Just think, McAllen was the NICEST part of my mission (Besides the north part, but who wanted to serve in Corpus?...sheesh). It is truly a very unique place. Loved it. And the food...FANTASTIC! I can't believe I did not get obese while I served.

Jason said...

Bri, you must feel at home in the ghetos and slums.
J/K, Jess and I wish we could have seen you while we were in your old stomping grounds. I am sure you could have shown us the real culture down here.