Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fast versus Fat

As a cyclist I have a real de-lima, I love to ride and I love to eat.

It is a well known fact that fat cyclist do not make fast cyclists, and I want to be fast.

Before I go on, I need to make a disclaimer to any non believers (cyclists). Fat in the cycling world is not the same as fat in the real world. The heavier you and your bike are the more watts you have to generate to get up that hill. Cyclist can pay thousands of dollars to make their bike lose a pound of weight. If you are just an average chump like me you need all the help you can get. So fat has nothing to do with looks, but everything to do with the vanity and pride of smoking my buddies.

This winter I was down to my lowest winter weight in years, hovering at 153. I thought for sure I would drop down to 149 by racing season. Well you know what they say about good intentions... 
I now weigh 156 and am getting my but kicked on the climbs. I have a big race this weekend with a 30 mile climb to Evanston, but I have found that I have procrastinated the
 day of my repentance to long. Now I will struggle to hang with the middle of the group, instead of charging off the front with the leaders. 

Oh well, such is life right? I have enjoyed a lot of good pastries and meals lately, I even found an amazing Cannoli at Granatos Bakery a few weeks ago, and  all the daily lunch trips to the bakeries in SLC have been wonderful. 
Maybe I will cut back on the massive amounts of calories I have been consuming all spring tomorrow...

If I only had Jessica's self control, then I would finally be fast.

6 comments:

Bri!!! said...

Oh Jason. I'm very embarrassed to say that I weigh more than you right now! I can't believe that. Anyway, we are hoping the little guy comes next week, and I promise right after the birth I will NOT weigh more than you:-). I don't even eat pastries or anything like that LOL. K, good luck on Evanston. That was such a fun race. Very cool. What category are you racing these days? Bri

Jason said...

Bri,
You should be weighing more than me, you are stepping on the scale with you, your baby and the carrying case with all of its weight.

It also sounds like you need to start living life and eating better.

I am still racing Cat 3, I am sure that your husband can still kick my butt, but fortunately he is to busy and far away to do it very often.

Jourdan said...

Uh. I weigh more than both of you (and my husband) and it's a pretty normal number for me. So be careful what you say. :)

And Bri, when you hit 200lbs, let me know and then I'll have some empathy for you. But only a little.:) You look awesome and you know it. Pregnant women are supposed to have big bellies or it'd just be plain gross.

Jason, keep eating those cannoli's and maybe, just maybe Rod will have a chance of beating you this year.

Jourdan said...

Oh yeah. And Jessica looks, ahem, stunning. She rocks!

Jason said...

Jordan,
I rode with Rod last night, and could barley hang on his wheel. I think you need to start loading your husband on the pastries.

Your no sugar diet has made him to fast for my likes.

Jessica said...

Yea, Jason you are such a fatty!Just kidding, cyclist are so O.C.D bording eating disorer. But it is for the love right? I can't make up my mind though Do I love food more than cycling or cycling more than food, either way I can't win! I am such a cheater either way! I love ya. Jo Jo you are to sweet!