Friday, May 30, 2008

1,000 miles in 5 days


I have been planning on riding the STP (Seattle to Portland) a 204 mile organized bike ride with Monica (one of my athletes) for about six months. At one point Jess and I were going to take the kids along and then drive along the coast to California, and show the kids the Redwoods, San Francisco LA. etc. making about a ten day road trip of it.

Well Gas prices have gotten so high that we decided to scratch that idea, and instead I decided to fly in ride the event and ride home. Luckily Cameron (another one of my athletes) decided to ride home with me. So we mapped it out and decided to ride it in five days, averaging about 200 miles a day.

Next we started thinking that this would make an epic charity ride, so after talking to the title sponsor of our team KJZZ/ The Fan, we decided to focus on the recent global food shortages.

In essence we will be peddling for food. The goal is to raise 25,000 lbs of rice. To put that into perspective, one person could survive a year off of 150 lbs of rice. so by raising 25,000 lbs we would be able to feed 166 adults for an entire year.

Knowing every mile I peddle, that I am feeding 15 people a days worth of food, is inspiring.

Right now we are still working out the details. We are trying to decide if we should donate the rice to local food banks, or send it to Africa. Wild Bill from Bajios has also suggested that we send it to the Bajio region of Mexico.

There will be a minimum of 5 riders riding right now the list is as follows:
Cameron Laskey
Jim Greene
Doug Sligting
Me
Doug is still a tentative and I am hoping to get Kevin Leake to commit as well.

For now I have bought my one way airline ticket, and am looking forward to spending 11 hours in the saddle a day for five days straight.

4 comments:

Bri!!! said...

THAT IS SO COOL! We are really excited that you and Jess have a blog. YAY!!! I love reading peoples blog. I seriously think it's the best way to keep in touch. You are so cute about your foxy wife. She really is amazing. I was just telling Dan about how amazing she was and then read your profile. You both are one of a kind, and it looks like you are raising little one of a kinds too which is so exciting. Wish we could be a part of the ride, although 200 miles a day for 5 days in a row doesn't sound very good for the butt. Anyway, I will be keeping up on your blog so keep posting. Much love,

Bri and Dan

Jason said...

Bri,
Jess and I have also been enjoying following your blog. We are excited to see you guys again. I am sure that Caleb is going to be one tuff kid with you guys as parents. It will be fun to do some joint family camp outs and bike rides. We just bought another tag along, so now all four of us have been able to go on rides together.

Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

Exellent idea! (Though I liked the original plan of having you guys come down through San Francisco -- you've got free lodging here if you change your mind.) I'd love to join you for the ride, but since I'm fat, out of shape and don't own a bike, looks like I'll have to join you on the next one.

Nathan

Jason said...

I have to be honest, San Francisco would be an awesome trip. I am probably going to have to take you up on your offer one of these days.

I also expect to take you up on your rain check offer for the next big ride.